Amar Addadi: “Tarragona Mediterranean Games have been a success”
The main figure of the International Committee congratulates the Organising Committee and thanks in public the job of the volunteers and people involved in the Gamescategory: Mediterranean Games
The Mediterranean Games put an end to their 18th edition with record numbers. 3 648 athletes, 1 468 women and 2 180 men, and 2 010 officials amounts to 4 658 participants in Tarragona 2018. The delegation with the bigger number of participants has been Italy, 431 athletes, followed by Spain, 398, and Turkey, with 346. The President of the International Committee of the Mediterranean Games, Amar Addadi, the Mayor of Tarragona and President of the Organising Committee, Josep Fèlix Ballesteros, the President of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Alejandro Blanco, and the Executive Director of Tarragona 2018, Víctor Sánchez, have presented a final evaluation of the competition days.
The President of the International Committee of the Mediterranean Games (ICMG), Amar Addadi, wanted to highlight the work done by the Organising Committee Tarragona 2018. He stated that he feels “satisfied with the results of these Games, which have overcome all difficulties. Tarragona’s edition has been a success”.
The Executive Director of the Games, Víctor Sánchez, considered the participation success a result of the good communication between Tarragona 2018 and the National Olympic Committees participating, who have supported wholeheartedly Tarragona by providing the best delegation possible taking into account the busy schedule of these days”.
The Mayor of Tarragona and President of the Organising Committee Tarragona 2018, Josep Fèlix Ballesteros, also wanted to offer an evaluation of the Mediterranean Games. The Mayor Ballesteros thanked the organising team, the 16 venues and the almost 3 000 volunteers and media journalists (La Xarxa/Tac 12, TV3, TVE and Tarragona Ràdio) with many hours of live broadcast and coverage of the 10 days of the Games!”. He stated that “there is a general real and objective feeling that we have lived up to the expectations. They have been a complicated Games, but also promising and positive in terms of participation numbers.” “There have been complications but they have resolved, mainly at the first third of the competition, and all of them as a result of the increase of athletes participating”, he added.
The President of the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE), Alejandro Blanco, praised the importance of volunteers 2018: “I do not know of any other event of this level with such a good quality of volunteers, always ready to help with a smile on their faces”.
The total number of volunteers have been 2 850 plus those coming from the venues of the Games and those collaborating with Protección Civil, among others.
Below you can find the some figures of the operation of the Mediterranean Games Tarragona 2018:
- During the ten days of competition between 85 and 120 daily buses were operational.
- There have been 11 A lines for athletes and 6 O lines for the organisation, volunteers and media.
- Between 1 000 and 1 300 people have been operating daily.
- Journalists – 235
- Photographers – 102
- TV personnel – 491
- TOTAL: 828 (Internationals: 119)
Medical Operational Plan
- More than 67 professionals of the Institut Català de la Salut and 280 volunteers have taken part in the Medical Operational Plan Tarragona 2018.
- To this day 340 medical visits have been provided and 60 referrals to CAR Salou or Hospital Joan XXIII.
- 400 doping controls carried out, only one has been positive: Montenegro karate athlete Ana Draskovic.
- Doctors have worked a total of 1 473 hours during the competition days.
- 6 948 picnic meals and 138 672 litres of water have been delivered.