The Mediterranean Games reach the schools of Tarragona’s province and “Terres de l’Ebre” through the Educational Project of the Games. This is a tool that has the goal of providing content to the educational centres of the territory.
Definition of the project
It is aimed at students between the ages of 3 and 18 years and includes training them on four objectives linked to the legacy of the Games:
- Disseminate the principles and values of the Mediterranean Games at the school level
- Promote the values of sport linked to the integral development of children
- Encourage the development of talents for the educational practice of the sport
- Promote a sense of belonging to the culture of the Mediterranean
The contents of the project will work in a cross-wise way and interdisciplinary and follow the own identity traits, such as technology, flexible, efficient, shared, interactive, integrative, inclusive, with permanent vocation.
Evolution of the project and the agents involved
The Educational Project of the Mediterranean Games began to grow in January of 2013 and in the same year a Council was created for drafting the Educational Project of the Games. After several meetings, in July 2013, it was considered to put the Rovira i Virgili University (URV) in charge of the project, being the leadership of this under the coordination of the operational area of the Sports of t the Mediterranean Games. From that moment we start to design the final draft.
The URV contacted with several centres in order to get a first exploration of the aspects that could work and because them could make suggestions and proposals to develop on the framework of the EPMG2018, giving a close view of theirs owns centres. The aim of this study was to find out what they were doing and, at the same, time adapt the project to their work.
From this real vision of the educational context of the territory and the suggestions from the centres, we made a selection of the different proposals to build thirteen lines of action and designing the final draft.
The EPMG2018 have the support of the educational Department of the Generalitat of Catalonia and it involves the following agents:
- Management and coordination of the project.
- ICE from URV. In charge of teacher training and advice.
- Educational Centres. All the municipalities host and educational centres of the scope of the Tarragona territory
- IMET. Participation in the drafting process and inclusion of activists of them
- Sports Councils. Teacher training. Participation in the management and organization of events linked to the promotion of sport and healthy habits.
- Federations. Teacher training. Promotion of sports activities.
- Students of the childhood education and primary education degrees of the Faculty of Educational Sciences and Psychology of the URV.
- Students of the physical activity and sport courses.